This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from sweetieruffie. Make your own badge here.
...
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30 ~
...
::[ [ DREAM OF THE DAY ] ]::
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Listening to: 103.2 FM Heart of Sydney Mood: Ok Weather@Sydney: 11 deg, chilly
.:. [ [ Back into the arms of cold frost ] ] .:.
Time flies. It's been almost a week & a half since I jetted back to Sydney, with my heart almost torn into half the day I left Singapore. I still recall how heavy my heart was on the 17th July as I headed towards the airport with my parents in dad's car & how I almost didn't want to to board the plane as dear & I embraced tearfully at the airport departure gate.
Many times I questioned myself if coming to Sydney to study had been the right thing to do. There have been many who expressed their disapproval of me leaving a seemingly meaningful & stable teaching professional to start in a completely new field - some had the audacity & ignorance to say I'm being "unstable"(?!). I also wonder if giving such a huge space between dear & I in our relationship was a wise decision. Nevertheless, though I've doubted myself momentarily at times & despite the seemingly insummountable and daunting academic demands and occasional social isolations, I am still glad I came. It's a choice I made for my personal growth & advancement - be it as a person - intellectually or socially, I believe it will be worth it in the end. It has also taught me to embrace even more tightly the things I've always had - friendships with those I consider very dear in Singapore, kinship ties with my granny, parents & niece, bond with those were once my students but now I consider my younger siblings & friends, availability of awsome toiletries & beauty services in Singapore (heh..), availibility of education resources & career opportunities in Singapore or Australia.
The feeling of being back in Sydney this time is definitely different from a semester back. This time, I'm back with greater confidence with a better understanding of culturally acceptable & favorable interaction, realistic expectations for academic performance and having built a growing & stable social support network here in Sydney.
School began this week & if I thought last semester was a killer.. this semester is going to only be even harder!! Modules for this semester is more specific in terms of application & deals a lot more with anatomy. Although these are essential skills for my profession, but it's hard! Like knowing how to help patients with hemiplegia to regain walking skills by first understanding normal movement sequences and balance reactions. Then part of the assessments this semester includes "viva" - practical assessments of how we will move or help patients. Tons of group work & notes to plough through every week too.
Class pretty much the same. Good news is the yucky gay lecturer is leaving (good riddance!). Coursemates still the same .. horrid ones still exist, nice ones still exist. Nevertheless it feels a little strange with Man Shan not around. Guess it's just Yang & Nancy & me now!
Fieldwork began this week as well. I'm at DADHC - Department of Ageing, Disability & Home Care. It's a community service and deals with clients with a wide range of disabilities in varied settings. I will be dealing mainly with sensory integration dysfunction this time & my coursemate who was posted there with me & I were frantically trying to gather info on this subject because we were responsible for creating & implementing an intervention on our clients within the next 6 weeks. Its exciting coz we get to actually try out our own intervention but scary coz it's a live patient we are talking about here! Not textbook or just following around the supervisor!!
I got to attend the annual Aromatic Festival @ the Rocks last weekend. It's when all the various reputable coffee & chocolate companies set up tents & sell their products. I initially arranged to meet Melizza to browse through only, but later found out my good friend, Mike, was taking part in a BArista competition there too. So I was real motivated to go check it out! Well, it was too crowded to make any meaningly purchases but I was happy to meet Mike & watch him at the competition which I thought he was awsome! I think he is going to rise up to be a really good barista in Australia in due time. Even though he was the last competitor, it was evident the audience & judges were completely intrigued & entralled by his art & skills! Go Mike!
I had my first tour of the Norther beaches in Sydney with Steve. We took a drive up all the way to Palm beach passing all the other glorious gorgeous coasts (Dee Why, Narabeen, Warriewood, Mona Vale, Newport, Bilgola, Avalon, Whale Beach and Palm Beach.) ... I've never seen this beautiful sight of Sydney. Steve was right in saying the experience will change my perspective of Sydney, after being stuck in the dingy inner west areas. Really enjoy the ride & the company. We also got to enjoy yummy fish & chips by the beach, as well as a live jazz performance. Sigh .. what more can u ask for? :) We are planning to tour the Central Coast the next round!
Ah ... this reminds me .. Yang, Nancy & I are in the prelimnary stages of planning a trip to NZ end of the year. Well .. fingers crossed & see how things go! :)
9:43 AM
Tagboard
Exits
::[ [ GROOVE WITH THE MUSIC ] ]:: just press the "pause" button to stop the music. Enjoy!
"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
~ Zephaniah 3:17 ~