Friday, May 11, 2007
Listening to: Meteor Rain by F4
Weather@Sydney: 14 deg, fair
Mood: Distracted
:+.:. Ingesting Insecticide & Baking Soda Wonders.:.+:
I dun know about you but it has always bothered me that there always seems to be a perpectual layer of opaque white coating on my fruits - particularly obvious on grapes & blueberries. Although I've always known that this has to be obviously insecticides, sometimes laziness & naviety gets the better of me & I simply either pop it into my mouth straight (completely foolish), give it a quick rinse (less foolish but still am nonetheless) or when I've the patience, soak it for a while in water. Now, I've concluded that the reason why I decided against good sense to just not bother about washing altogether, is that it doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all! Even if I soak it for a hour, that whitish layer is still there ...
Now being in Sydney for a while, eating grapes & tons of other fruits & vegetables has become a staple part of my daily diet - being responsible for my own grocery shopping has given me the liberty to choose the healthiest path for my diet. But sad to say, I'ven't been the wisest when it came to dealing with the pesky residence on my fruits. So today, for no particular reason @ all, I was extremely disatisfied with the look of my grapes. I decided for once, that washing with water was simply a futile attempt because after all, farmers, logically, would use wash-proof insecticides to spray on their crops ... unless they enjoy spraying after every rain fall? So, I did a little experiment. I dripped a little olive oil into the water I used to soak my grapes & gently rubbed my tiny globes ... good gracious .. I've never seen such clear, red, succulent, beautiful looking grapes! With all the disgustinig stuff on it simply "slipped" off! Words just can't fully describe the sense of satisfaction as I savoured my RED grapes (not whitish for once). Nonethless, I can't help but shudder in horror thinking of the amount of insecticide that lays in my body from all the years of silly eating habits. :)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
My landlady quizzed me on an issue that really got me thinking for a while. She was enquiring why I used dishwashing liquid everytime I washed my cookeries & utensils when I hardly ever used any oil in my cooking. She commented that it's "bad" coz there is all "chemicals". Now .. that really intrigued me so I set about searching on the net for info about this. I was really quite shocked to realise that dishwashing liquids are so toxic to our health & the environment too! Apparently, the chemicals in these liquids contain fumes which we ingest as we breadth. The shocking thing is that shampoos are basically similar to dishwashing liquids in terms of chemical contents!
Good alternatives would be using baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice. Hence I set about trying washing my pots & plates used after cooking a meal of oat bran ... wow .. it really works! :):) Ah ... the wonders of nature! :)
Check out this website for more info if you are interested! :)
http://www.organicpicks.com/php2/home_cleaners_for_pennies.php?tid=cc
8:19 AM