Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Listening to: "Kiss Goodbye" by Wong Li Hom
Mood: Blissful
Savouring: Oaks Chocolate Milk ... yumz
I miss Singapore. I miss the food in Singapore. I miss my dear dear. I miss my parents. I miss my friends. I miss my students. Ah .. yes ... lamentations from Down Under. :)
I must say although I cherish & actually enjoy tremendously the independence & space I get being here, I miss the most the social attachments I've formed with people I love & cherish so much back home .. sometimes I think it's not so much of the "where" but the people that makes the greatest difference.
I never thought I could actually say I like Singapore until I came here to stay... in the past, I use to detest the self-centredness of Singaporeans & how restrained we were - be it politically, socially or even geographically. But being in Aussie has allowed me to see things from another perspective & I must say that although, naturally, Singapore is not perfect, but given her limitations, I'm proud of our achievements as a nation.
One phenonmena I note with interest is how people - individuals, social groups, institutions or nations - can be so egocentric. In psychology, egocentrism is the characteristic of regarding oneself & one's own opinons or interests as most important. They don't try to appreciate or understand what others have gone through or where they come from - in another words, they cannot put themselves in other people's shoes & believes everyone sees what he/she sees.
I know of a few individuals, who cannot see beyond their own noses. I used to feel both bemused & frustrated that these people lack such sense of self-awareness that nothing anyone would say would make them see their own true reflection. When in social groups, some institutions are so focused only on their own achievements & goals that they fail to see the big picture. Now that I'm here in Australia, I feel both amused & annoyed at times when some of the locals associate things like tennis & modernisation with Australia, USA because they are Western while Asia & the rest of the world are like .... hmm..
Although I reckon that it's probably due to the simple fact that Australia is more or less a self-sufficient continent, cept for the lack of water, that's why it's people lack the awareness or knowledge about other nations ... especially those in the East .. like Asia! Hmm ... I almost feel like laughing at this moment at their ignorance.
Hmm... & on that note .. Singapore simply cannot be belly-gazing & focus only on our national issues because of the simple fact that our survival is unwittingly interwoven with the fate of the nations we associate & draw our resources / support from. Call it interdepedence or depence, we just cannot deny that diplomatic alliances is crucial to our survival & prosperity.
Hmm ... people mock at our strict rules & our one-party-long-standing government .. but to me .. if this is what it takes for us to survive ... who are other people to tell us how to do it ... unless they think they can do it better with our best interest in heart? So .. go Singapore.
I miss Singapore food. I crave it day & night! There's no Haagen Daaz, Swensons, Ben & Jerrys, Godiva, Royce, Crystal Jade here ... no tau suan, popiah, hokkien mee ... lol. A friend here once told me that with time, I'd learn to cook the things that I love to eat here. I had scoffed at it in naive disbelief, almost sincerely believing I could survive on wholemal bread & steamed veggies with fish/chicken & fruits everyday ... gosh ... his "prophecy" is coming true... I'm actually really cooking things I like ... good thing is I dun have exotic taste. :)
The weather is turning chilly these days ... it's actually my first autumn I'm experience & I'm exuberant! :) I can't wait to see the change in the greenery & clothing... :) But I thank God autumn & winter is mild .. otherwise I wouldn't be able to bear it! :)
Cheers! :)
2:47 PM