Thursday, March 01, 2007

It seems almost surreal that I've been here in Sydney for a month now but I suppose its mainly because so many things happen within such a seeming short span of time. The two weeks of orientation is finally over & since dear returned back home to Singapore a week ago, I do miss him dearly. :)
The 2 weeks of orientation were catered specifically for international students - both undergraduates & postgraduates, though we spent the bulk of the time with our respective groups. Interestingly enough, in my health science faculty, the proportion of undergrads & postgrads is approxinately 50%-50%, for the whole of Uni.of Sydney, the proportion is almost 60% postgraduates & 40% undergraduates! I've never actually met so many people from so many parts of the world before! Bhutan, Czech Republic, Columbia, Argentina, Jordan, Iran, Iraq, Israel, USA, Thailand, Vietnam, Japan, Korea to name just a few!! In my postgraduate class in Health Science, I am humbly the only Singaporean! It is amusing to me coz back in Singapore, it's always the comparing of secondary schools & JCs where we come from ... now that I'm here, it's the comparing of countries... :)
I consider myself blessed because I really can sense God being with me & being my Jehovah Jireh throughout this period. One of the greatest provision is my accomodation coz being able to get such a spacious, modern, safe place to stay in with such close proximity to my school & a real nice landlady is a huge blessing! Most of my course mates have to travel coz it's hard to find good places in our suburb & some have not even found a permanent place. I just pray God will provide such that I am able to stay here till I graduate. I also thank God for me being Singaporean because being strong in English has been a definite advantage to me academically - when it comes to apprehending lectures & doing lit reviews or critique writing. However, I found the most enjoyment particularly in the anatomy intro class. :)
Hmm, shopping in Sydney is marvellous. The malls here are huge huge huge! However most of my shopping is spent in the grocery stores buying my daily provisions & household stuff like cleaners, pails etc. I completely restrained from buying clothes or shoes coz I'm conscious of spending unnecessarily. My particular favourites currently are Westfield Parammata & Roudes Shopping Centre.. :) There's just so much food, clothes, budget shops, toiletries & grocery stores! :) Funnily enough, I've not seen brands like Aussino, Mango or Zara here at all!
I live in the suburbs where you find a complete variety of ethnicity! Go anywhere and you see Africans, Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Italians, Indians, Sri Lankas, Lebanese etc .. it's rare to find a typical blond hair-fair skin Australian!! One would most likely find the typical European-Australian people more in Northean Sydney. There's also the reason why suburbs are higher in crime & poverty more prevalent. Commuting in suburbs of late, I must say I really dun fancy the suburbs here - though being able to be near Asian stores is a bonus. But one interesting thing I've noticed is that people here do not use handphones nor sms as prevalently here, unlike in Singapore. In fact, it is uncommon to find people listening even to ipods! People will either stare into space or read! :)
Autumn is coming soon & the weather is turning chilly. I feel both anticipation & apprehension as it's my first autumn & winter .. :) These days my life revolves very much around doing housework (washing clothes, making my bed, vacuuming, washing dishes), buying groceries to cook my meals & school. I am delighted to be able to communicate with my parents via Skype & I think being overseas has improved our relationship. :) Okie ... talk more again ... cheerz! :)
1:22 PM