Friday, December 29, 2006
Listening to: "Fallen" by Lauren WoodMood: SleepySavoring: Korean Dried Squid

"Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1803 - 1882
Letters and Social Aims [1876], Social Aims
I came across an article in Readers' Digest a couple of months ago where a research was conducted to assess & rate the level of courtesy of citizens in the biggest cities of 35 countries. Surprise surprise, the top three that emerged were: New York, Zurich & Toronto. Now, before anyone cries "Bias" since these cities are supposedly "Western", I must state that the 3 tests chosen & conducted for this assessment were simple tasks that could have been easily carried out by any gender or race or age. The first involved holding the door for a stranger behind, another involved picking up fallen folders/papers & the last was saying thank you to customers who bought small items. What saddened though not utterly surprising was the fact that Asian countries were ranked among the lowest. I quote from the article: "The region that most consistently lacked courtesy: Asia. Eight out of nine cities there finished in the bottom 11." Guess where Singapore was? 31st ... just above Seoul, KL, Romania & Mumbia. Well for a nation who strives to be gracious & a optimum tourist destination, I would say this is a utter disgrace. We won ... 4th from the bottom. Excuses cited were "I didn't see" or "I'm busy" .. sounds familiar? In fact, I often get irate whenever I board the public bus & don't understand why Singaporeans do not readily offer their seats for the elderly & pregnant ladies. I remember distinctly this being taught to me when I was in primary school so it comes naturally. Offerning seats for people, holding doors for strangers behind, helping old ladies carry their heavy loads. Did I go through a different education system from 95% of the population or was everyone sleeping? Such individualism displayed by Singaporeans coupled by the want for materialism fills me with dismay. On this note, I do think that this mindset of self-glorification & self-gratification is driven by fear. Not that in any way it makes the actions less appalling but that people driven by fear will never truely be free to love & be happy. Fear of failure, fear of poverty, fear of losing - it's no wonder Singaporeans are also ranked top - from the bottom - for level of happiness in another recent survey.
But I'm not trying to boast of how polite I am - beacuse I sincerely do feel I am only doing what I should be doing & just totally surprise how rare something that should be a norm is. Hmm .. but I must confess I am learning how to be courteous behind the wheel .. espeically to taxi drivers who erratically change lanes & people who drive so slow!! I read a line that said "Dun horn unless to warn." I found that really useful.
Well, Sydney was ranked 24th on the list so I guess I will be a citizen of a less polite city & the PR of a not so impolite city. I only pray such a trend of uncivilisation will not spiral further downwards.
"Guard well within yourself that treasure - kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness." George Sand.
For more read, check out: http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2006/07/polite.php

11:35 AM